18.6.05

what's goin on: pt II

i joined a band. c forwarded me this ad from here: established 60's/70's R&B revue seeks experienced female vocalist(s) to expand our backup vocal section. ability and desire to take few leads is an asset but not a requirement. what IS required is an appreciation of classic R&B, great energy and enthusiasm, and a sense of humour ... visit us at slipperyslope.ca

i sat on it for a few days and eventually sent a note that went like this:

dear slippery slopers,

your ad was passed along to me by a friend who knows damn well how i’ve been craving more and more lately to find a way to get music back into my life. or get my life back into music. i haven't caught any of your gigs, but it just may be that we'd fit together well.

i am a female vocalist with years of music experience. i’m crazy about old school funk and soul. i'm gaga for motown. i dig contemporary hip hop artists who dare ignore pop influences in favour of more soulful artistry. my favourite artist of all time is prince. second runner up is aretha (why you ain’t got no aretha on your set list? hmmm?). i've trained in classical and jazz, have fronted jazz combos, rocked a choir or two, and have plenty of stage and studio time behind me. i kick ass at rock and roll jeopardy from my couch. you should also know that i'm known as a bit of an 80s music fan and trivia geek - i tell you this realizing the very real potential that you might never contact me, ever. should we meet?

and they said yes. so we met. we sized each other up last weekend in a basement in nepean (nothing tawdry, just a cliche rehearsal space, minus the garage). they are self-identified hobbyists. i don't want to rush the judgment, so am delaying any formal assessment of talent. let's just say that hobbyist is a term well suited to this band. which suits me just fine, at this point. i never expected to step directly from my recent career to the best new artist award at next year's juno's. good christ, never expected to even step onto a stage. so this seems pretty cool for now. we've rehearsed a couple of times and i'll be joining in on some upcoming gigs, including a 20 minute set in toronto on monday here. they seem excited (aw shucks, i am too) for me to do lots of lead vocals. it will be fun to brush the dust off some of my favourites... before long, i'll be back on that midnight train to georgia hollerin' for a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! They look like they have a lot of fun. I wish I could hear you...but then, maybe you'll hit the web site soon. We should talk soon,
Jason

10:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! Congrats!

8:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was going to say this sounded like a great time for a (cue the 80's anthem music) ROOOOAAAAAAD TRIP! to tha T-Dot, but it is a little short notice. Thankfully, it appears that you're also playing at the Rainbow on the 29th.

I'm sure I and the boa-wearing Miss V will be there.

8:52 a.m.  
Blogger accidental altruist said...

dangit! i'm outta town on the 29th - i hope this is only the first of many gigs.

~Jenn~

11:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home